RE: [21.1.90]: point put at point-min in *compilation*

From: Marshall, Simon
Subject: RE: [21.1.90]: point put at point-min in *compilation*
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:55:07 -0000

>     But scrolling still has to occur for you to be able to see if
there's
>     anything to read.
>
> That is not true.  Starting a new compilation erases the buffer.
> So you will certainly see that the output has started.  Then you
> can read it at your own pace.

Yes, you can read it by scrolling through it - that was my point above.
With a default of nil you still _always_ have to scroll yourself,
whereas with a default of t you _only_ have to scroll yourself if (a)
you see there is something worth reading and (b) the compilation hasn't
stopped anyway because that something was a fatal error.  And with t you
get the visual cue of progress status.

> If it scrolls automatically I often can't even SEE if there is
> something I want to look at.  And supposing I do see, by the time
> I can get my hands on the keyboard to type anything, a lot more
> output will usually have come out.

Iff you think you might have missed something, then you can scroll back.
But how is that different from scrolling forward, which you _always_
have to do with a default of nil?

If you care about compilation output and/or progress, a default of nil
means that you always have to do something (ie scroll), whereas with a
default of t you only occasionally have to do something.

> My decision is not to change the default to t.

Ok.  Though it is worth pointing out that the other few who have
expressed a preference have said that the default would be better as t.
It is also worth pointing out that the other (non-Emacs) build tool I
use also behaves that way.
Emacs 21 and 22.1 also behave that way (apart from the first invocation)
and I bet nobody complained about that.  (As I understand it, Drew was
complaining about M-x grep, which I agree with, and its default would be
better as nil.)

>     Has someone tried to use my new
compilation-auto-jump-to-first-error?
>     It stops the scrolling as soon as the first error is spotted.
>
> I have not tried it, but it sounds like a good idea.
> Is it installed already?

I would try it if it was in Emacs 22.

Misys and Misys International Banking Systems is a trading name for Misys
International Banking Systems Limited which is registered in England and Wales
under company registration number 00971479 and with its registered office
address at Burleigh House, Chapel Oak, Salford Priors, Evesham WR11 8SP.
THIS E-MAIL DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE COMMENCEMENT OF LEGAL RELATIONS BETWEEN YOU
AND MISYS INTERNATIONAL BANKING SYSTEMS LIMITED. PLEASE REFER TO THE EXECUTED
CONTRACT BETWEEN YOU AND THE RELEVANT MEMBER OF THE MISYS GROUP FOR THE
IDENTITY OF THE CONTRACTING PARTY WITH WHICH YOU ARE DEALING.