Re: Improving X selection?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 06:25:22 +0900

David De La Harpe Golden writes:

 > I thought of that, but wanted to avoid "select" because of its X11
 > usage:  that which is cut is also a selection in X11 terms.

Well, yes, you can't cut without selection, but I've never heard
"select" used to mean "cut".  A selection is just a region of a
window, which can be deleted, cut, copied (with or without
translation) or replaced as a single unit.

+1 for "select" rather than "highlight", and for "insert" as opposed
to "lightins".