Re: (aset UNIBYTE-STRING MULTIBYTE-CHAR)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: (aset UNIBYTE-STRING MULTIBYTE-CHAR)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:13:51 +0900

> But it is not terribly hard to make this case work once again, given
> that all strings are indirect.  At worst, one can make a new string
> with the modified contents, then swap the `data' pointers between the
> new string and the old one.

As Stefan noted, though, the entire idea of using aset to store into a
multibyte string is rather dodgy...I think there's a certain expectation
by users of aset that the operation follows general array behavior, most
notably O(1) complexity, and storing into a multibyte string doesn't
follow that.  If we can discourage this usage without too much fallout,
that seems a lot better in the long run.

-Miles

--
Twice, adv. Once too often.