Re: 23.0.60; Defaut encoding for XML files should be undefined (instead

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Defaut encoding for XML files should be undefined (instead of utf-8)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:54:40 +0000

Edward O'Connor wrote:
My understanding is that the XML specification requires XML documents
lacking an explicit <?xml encoding='foo'?> instruction to be UTF-8 or
UTF-16, so Emacs does the right thing already.

Emacs goes beyond doing the right thing at the moment. The right thing would be to guide users into using utf-8 by making that the default encoding for *new* XML files, and perhaps warning if an existing file was detected as non-utf-8 without a charset declaration in the header. Forcing users into using utf-8 by ignoring explicit requests to save the file as latin-1 and by opening latin-1 encoded files as utf-8 even when the decoding fails is not the right behaviour. Our users are not slaves to specifications.