Re: suggestion for set-file-modes

From: Michaël Cadilhac
Subject: Re: suggestion for set-file-modes
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:07:54 -0500

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>>>   > Maybe a more intuitive thing we can do is to prompt the following :
>>>   >
>>>   > "File modes, octal or symbolic (current: -r-xrw---):"
>>>
>>> This form is exactly what I had in mind. This format is familiar to
>>> people from "ls -l".  If users request something else, it can be changed
>>> later, but this should do for now.  Obviously, this is all IMHO...
>>
>> Following that proposition, on which we agreed, here's a patch.
>
> This is very nice, but why you don't accept this string in the same format
> allowing the user to enter it in the minibuffer (i.e. why you didn't
> implement `file-modes-ls-to-number')?

Well, I've never seen anyone (or any tool) using that notation to *set*
file modes.  Yes, it will allow Emacs to tend to more completeness, but
I think Emacs goal lays more in usefulness.

Do you have any practical case in which that notation could be more
natural?

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  (\(\  This is the cute bunny virus,   |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |  (^.^)  please copy this into your     |