Re: Info-build-node-completions has an extra `*' node

From: Bastien Guerry
Subject: Re: Info-build-node-completions has an extra `*' node
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:53:20 +0000

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> I should have added that after you do `Info-goto-node *' the Info buffer is
>> widened, so you see all of the node headers in raw form. So this is a worse
>> bug than simply allowing an extra `*' completion that doesn't do anything
>> except mess up the mode line.
>
> How funny that you thought this feature is a bug :)
>
> Please read the Info manual at (info "(info) Go to node") that says:
>
>      The node name `*' specifies the whole file.  So you can look at all
>   of the current file by typing `g*<RET>' or all of any other file with
>   `g(FILENAME)*<RET>'.

I was also confused.

When you hit `g' in the (dir) Top node, the completion only offers
"*" and "Top: this is the top of the info tree", both not being very
useful as they nearly don't change what is displayed here.

I would prefer the completion to list the possible file names as it
lists the possible node names in a normal Info node, without the need
to enter a parenthesis first.

As for the (file)* feature, I didn't know it, and would be surprised
that many people find it very useful.  But it's a separate issue than
the point about completion in the (dir) Top info buffer.

--
Bastien