Re: State of VC?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: State of VC?
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:03:21 +0100

() Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
() Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:56:24 -0800

   AFAIK no.

I have just added vc-dir-status for Git.  Sigh, moments after
the C-c C-c, i see new func vc-git--ls-files-state, which
probably could have been useful.  However, before doing any
more munging, it would be nice for us to figure out what is
vc-dir-status philosophy and design, and write that down in a
vc.el comment so that backend support can derive guidance and
check for conformance.  Labeling everything EXPERIMENTAL is
lame; one such warning in vc.el should suffice.

Personally, i don't think vc-directory for Git is that bad
(w/ some tweaking)[0].  I *like* the "v" prefix, non-flat
(visible) directory hierarchy, and support for RCS and CVS.
I get the feeling that vc-dir-status is simply ewoc wanking.
Perhaps a nice comment in vc.el would dispell that, hint hint.

thi

[0] mentioned before, but there have been updates since:
    http://www.gnuvola.org/wip/  (see vc-git-hacking)