Re: Default font 'default have no corresponding variable

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Default font 'default have no corresponding variable
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:37:39 +0000

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
Miles Bader wrote:
Why should there be a "corresponding variable"?

Maybe I got this wrong, I thought that there usually were a variable with the same name as the face and that the variable value was the face symbol. But maybe that is just used for faces defined specific uses in emacs libraries?
No. For historical reasons that is the case for font-lock-*-face, and many developers of external packages copy that pattern without understanding why.

My understanding is that before customize-face existed, it was much easier to create a new face than to modify an existing one. So font-lock was designed with redirection via a variable to allow the standard faces to be swapped out.

But anyway, as I wrote, libraries written for Xemacs often tends to assume that the variable default exist (and points to a face symbol I believe).

No, you didn't write that as far as I can see.