Re: documentation typo: `--terminal' fails

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: documentation typo: `--terminal' fails
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 01:49:42 +0000 (UTC)

    But the documentation also doesn't mention that --terminal is
    a valid argument.

Since it says      `--terminal' implies `--no-window-system'.
I think it is fair to presume that `--terminal' is a valid argument.

    I suggest we replace "`--terminal'" with
    "This argument" or just "This".

That does not make it the same as `--no-window-system' or `-nw' which
is how I understand the documentation
     `--terminal' implies `--no-window-system'.

Incidently,
    (info "(emacs) Emacs Invocation")
says

    GNU Emacs supports command line arguments to request various actions
    when invoking Emacs.

`--terminal=DEVICE', `--display=DISPLAY', and `--no-window-system' are
called `initial options' both in that node and in the subnode
    (info "(emacs) Initial Options")

    > If the `--terminal' for `--no-window-system' needed a DEVICE argument
    > I would expect it to say
    >
    >     `--terminal=DEVICE' implies `--no-window-system'

    The argument is not part of the option name.

Perhaps to an expert that is true, but when the documentation says
    `--terminal' implies `--no-window-system'
I do not expect it to mean
    `--terminal=DEVICE' implies `--no-window-system'
That is why I asked,

    Perhaps this trouble is an ambiguity of the documentation?

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden