Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:13:00 -0500

>>> I am suggesting that having a usable mark should not imply an active
>>> region.  But that is more or less the premise of transient-mark-mode.
>> I don't understand in what way TMM requires or enforces that "a usable
>> mark implies an active region".
> It may be mitigated with mark-even-if-inactive, but that is rather
> recent development.

Well, everyone is entitled to his/her own interpretation of "recent", but

    1993-06-30  Richard Stallman  (address@hidden)

        * simple.el (mark-even-if-inactive): New variable.

that's around the same time transient-mark-mode sows up in the ChangeLog
files, so I presume it was introduced at the same time (I know
I discovered/enabled it "soon" after enabling TMM, but that "soon" may
span a year or two).

>>> (and temporary transient-mark mode is really a life saver:
>> Thank you ;-)

> The thanks are on my side.  It was somewhat of a nuisance not to be able
> to use active-region commands, but the price of regular tmm-mode was
> simply too high.

What do you think of making C-M-SPC (and a few other such mark-*
commands) turn on temp-TMM?

        Stefan