Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:55:49 -0600 (CST)

       A similar use occurs with M-> and M-< (mark is set but region is not
       active).  I wonder if it might be worthwhile to have "big jump" motion
       deactivate the region.

   Right now, M-< neither activates the mark nor deactivates it.
   Are you suggesting that it should deactivate the mark instead?
   That would make a difference when you use it when the mark is active.
   Is that what people want?

_Definitely_ not. I often use M-< and friends to define a region in
situations where using non-"big jump" commands would be
super-cumbersome and time consuming.  I often _want_ commands to
operate on a huge region and it is hard for me to imagine that nobody
else ever does.

Sincerely,

Luc Teirlinck.