Re: Emacs 23, sluggish performance

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs 23, sluggish performance
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:52:08 -0500

> Hello, I'm using a checkout from the trunk built yesterday on my WinXP with
> the new font backend enabled. Emacs feels very sluggish even with just my
> .emacs settings file opened which is not a big file. Scrolling in the file
> is slow, selecting is slow. Maybe not the same response I'm used to when
> typing either. I normally select and scroll with the mouse, which I know is
> probably under-using emacs but it wasn't slow before. When I look at the
> task manager I see emacs is consuming practically no cpu time and memory
> usage is modest (around 25 MB). Also, the binaries are built with
> debugging information.
> I'm wondering what I can do to speed things up, maybe rebuild without
> debugging information and not enabling the new font backend but it shouldn't
> be necessary I feel.

Whatever happened to providing information such as Windows/Mac/X11?
My crystal ball tells me you're running under Windows with the new font
backend enabled.

Please keep compiling *with* the new font backend, and if you want the
good old speed just run emacs with --disable-font-backend (yes, it can
be chosen at runtime).

        Stefan