RE: highlight failed part of isearch input

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: highlight failed part of isearch input
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:15:11 -0800

> > I don't care which hue (green, red, blue, magenta, cyan,
> > yellow) we use, but the difference in value (brightness)
> > from the normal background should be
> > slight - noticeable, but slight.
>
> I agree that IndianRed1 is too loud color, but OTOH Plum is
> too mild and lifeless.  However, taking into account all
> your arguments it is possible to find a suitable color on
> the whole color space.
>
> First, I think we should use red hue since this is used for
> error strings usually. As for lightness, on a light background
> it is better to shift it to the maximum, because darker colors
> looks dirty on a light background.
>
> As for lightness, on a light background it is better to shift it
> to the maximum, because darker colors looks dirty on a light
> background.
>
> So we are left with the single axis of saturation.  There we
> have three named colors: "IndianRed1", "brown1" and "RosyBrown1".
> First two are too saturated, and "RosyBrown1" (#ffc1c1) is too
> close to the default background color.
>
> So I think we could use a color with the numeric notation #ff8888.
> This color looks good, and black text on it is readable.
> Here is the comparison of #ff8888 (Current) with Plum (Old):

Juri, no one else seems to care, so please pick whatever color you like.

FWIW - The color you prefer, #FF8888, seems to be a more saturated version
of RosyBrown1. Attached are comparisons of RosyBrown1 (on top) with your
preference (on the bottom), and of your preference (on top) with Plum (on
the bottom).

You apparently want this highlighting to stand out more than I intended it
to. I think a lighter color, such as RosyBrown1, is better as the default on
a white background, but, again, pick whatever color you want.