Re: Bug trackers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bug trackers
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:07:21 -0500

> Ok; creating more packages is easy, but I'll have to modify some stuff
> to create a default maintainer address for missing packages.  I'll try
> to get to that later today.

Thanks.

>> I'm glad I can use non-existent packages like that. This will allow
>> us to try-and-use packages before knowing who should be the
>> corresponding maintainer (or maybe even without ever intending to
>> assign a maintainer address to it).
>>
>> I see that `index-packages' does list those non-existent packages,
>> so other than not having any maintainer is there some downside to
>> them?

> That and the "gee, I don't know about that package, you shouldn't
> assign bugs to them" message.

Indeed, in our context, debbugs shouldn't discourage reporting bugs to
packages just on the ground that they don't have a maintainer (of
course, that's only true if/when we get the above mentioned "default
maintainer address").

>> Yes. You can subscribe to them via
>> http://savannah.gnu.org/mail/?group=emacs

> Ok; Stephen indicated that installing such a handler directly in
> mailman was superior, so I'll hold off unless the gnu.org mailman
> administrators think differently or won't have time to do this
> reasonably soon.

I guess we can wait a few more days, indeed.  But the sooner the merrier.

        Stefan