Re: bug#25: Acknowledgement (frame parameter menu-bar-lines changes heig

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: bug#25: Acknowledgement (frame parameter menu-bar-lines changes height of frame)
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:23:52 -0800

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Drew Adams wrote:
> Consistent is good. Even better is to treat it as a normal mail
> thread, so the original message is also in the same stream. IOW, bug
> sending should also have the same prefix, whatever it is.

It is a normal mail thread, actually. You received the
acknowledgement, which is outside the thread. Maintainers and everyone
else following the thread just receive a normal method with bug#
prepended to the subject.

> I don't see why. Why would an automatic system not be able to keep
> the subject intact (using whatever prefixing convention it wants,
> consistently).

It does do this, actually.

> But there should be one-stop shopping for the complete bug-report
> history: everything should be in one thread - either email or on a
> Web page, and that one place should also be where you post updates.

And this is the case as well. address@hidden is the place where you
mail followups, and anyone who has elected to receive followups gets
them as well. What you got (and anyone else who sends mail to the
system without headers to say that you don't want them gets) is an
acknowledgement that your followup was received. [If you don't want
them, add an X-Debbugs-No-Ack: header or psuedoheader.]

Don Armstrong

--
It was said that life was cheap in Ankh-Morpork. This was, of course,
completely wrong. Life was often very expensive; you could get death