Re: PATCH to add euro symbol to French-{postfix, alt-postfix, prefix} in

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: PATCH to add euro symbol to French-{postfix, alt-postfix, prefix} input methods
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 14:43:54 +0100

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>  What bothers me is that the same input method suddenly switches the
>  encoding I need to use from under my feet, just because I used one
>  particular character supported by that input method.  And on top of
>  that, if I already used some of the characters not in Latin-9, my only
>  practical choice is UTF-8.

It boils down to what do you think it is more likely:

  a) The user types characters outside latin-1 (or whatever) because
he needs them, and will have to worry later how to save the buffer
  b) The user wants to save in latin-1, uses characters outside it by
accident (because they are available in the input method), and will
have to worry later about removing or substituting them.

             Juanma