Re: vc-set-mode-line-busy-indicator

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: vc-set-mode-line-busy-indicator
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 21:29:05 +0200

>     > 2. If we need both, the name of the one for buttons should be
>     > `mode-line-button' and the one for emphasis should be
>     > `mode-line-highlight'.
>
>     `mode-line-highlight' servers the same purpose as its counterpart
>     `highlight' that historically is used to temporarily highlight text
>     during mouse-overs.
>
> They do not seem similar to me.  `highlight' is used for highlighting
> text that is always present, and could be used on any text.

`mode-line-highlight' is currently used for the same purposes on the
mode line - for highlighting text that is always present on the mode line.

> My understanding is that `mode-line-highlight' is proposed for use on
> a particular notice that will never appear without that.

It seems no one proposes using `mode-line-highlight' on a particular
notice on the mode line.  On the contrary, a new face was proposed
to use for such notices that will never appear without that.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/