Re: position on changing defaults?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: position on changing defaults?
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 01:00:27 +0100

Juri Linkov wrote:
- selection with Shift-arrow keys
I think this would be a good default.  If someone is willing to make a
patch that refactors this code from cua-mode into simple.el, it would
be worth considering.
Unfortunately, I see no way of implementing this in simple.el without
using pre-command-hook and post-command-hook.  It seems this can be
implemented only in C in the function that reads characters.
On top of this, Shift-arrow keys are already in use in org-mode.

This is not a reason to make Emacs unfriendly to newbies that expect
Shift-arrow keys to work like in other programs.  Could you change
these keys in org-mode to e.g. Meta-arrows or something?

org-mode has already support for changing this, see the variable