Re: Emacs 22.2 release plans

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Emacs 22.2 release plans
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 12:19:14 +0100

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Something like this? It should be up near the top (in "Installation
> Changes" or a separate section):
>
> "We plan to discontinue support for some older systems in Emacs 23.1.
> These systems are still supported in Emacs 22.2, but configure will
> not complete without manual intervention.  If you encounter one of
> these systems, and believe it should continue to be supported, please
> make your voice known at address@hidden"

It still find it confusing:

If you need "manual intervention" (such as editing the configure
script) to make Emacs 22 compile on a certain platform, then IMO
the system is _not_ supported on Emacs 22.

So speaking about "plan to discontinue support in 23.1" seems
meaningless when Emacs 22 itself doesn't compile (out of the box) on
that system.

So either you discontinue those systems in 22.2, or you make Emacs 22.2
compile on those systems.

Breaking "configure" is effective - but IMO not the right place - to
ask people to "make your voice known"...

My suggestion is that configure simply prints the following blurb
at the END of the configure output - so it is clearly visible
to the target users:

SYSTEM-XXX is considered an potentially obsolete system by the
Emacs development team, so Emacs 22.2 may be the last release
to officially support it.

Since you still use Emacs on such a system, and you want to
continue using future Emacs versions on it, please make
your voice known to the developers at address@hidden