Re: Feature request : Tab-completion for 'shell-comand'

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Feature request : Tab-completion for 'shell-comand'
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 11:14:06 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> I wish _all_ messages would display ala minibuffer-message when the
>> user's editing in the minibuffer -- the current behavior (temporarily
>> ovewriting the minibuffer to show messages) is stupid and annoying,
>> especially given that many errors one gets are fairly trivial or
>> transient.
>
> Since minibuffer-message doesn't do anything useful currently when the
> minibuffer is not active, we can change it to call `message' in
> that case.
>
> Then we can replace calls to `message' with calls to minibuffer-message on
> a case-by-case basis.

I don't think that's a good idea -- really you would want to replace
_all_ (except a vanishingly small minority) of calls to message with
minibuffer-message, then.  The name "minibuffer-message" is uglier --
it's annoyingly long and awkward for such an extremely common call --
and really it's a huge amount of silly source-code churn for a
relatively minor change.

I think it would be better just to make "message" do the right thing,
and fix those places that don't work with the new way (in my testing,
that was very very few of them).

-Miles

--
Saa, shall we dance?  (from a dance-class advertisement)