Re: bookmark.el and lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark.el

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: bookmark.el and lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark.el
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 21:43:53 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> I think we should do as I suggest above: a single function of no
> arguments that is called first that returns a bookmark record, including
> a suggested name (which can be nil so as to use the default heuristic
> to decide the default bookmark name).
>
> This has another advantage: since the function is called first, it can
> signal an error if the bookmark can't be created (e.g. if
> buffer-file-name is nil), so we can drop the (or (local-variable-p ...)
> (bookmark-buffer-file-name) (error ...)) test which is currently forced
> to guess whether the actual bookmark construction function will work.

I think this way is fine too.  I almost proposed it in my first
response, in fact -- well, something close to it.  What I'd suggest is
that `bookmark-make-record-function's value return an alist:

   ((`name' . NAME) (`record' . RECORD) ...)

That's extensible, and if you don't want to supply a name, just leave
out that alist element entirely.

-Karl