Re: EMACS22: Unexpected question when fetching mail in Gnus...

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: EMACS22: Unexpected question when fetching mail in Gnus...
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 12:09:55 +0100

On Sat, Mar 08 2008, Kim F. Storm wrote:

> This is new on EMACS 22 branch:
>
> All of a sudden (I upgraded from CVS), I'm asked a series of
> questions when fetching my mail:
>
> Remove file `Incoming25737PnQ'? (y or n)
[...]

I wonder why nobody using Emacs trunk or No Gnus complained about the
questions yet.  (I'll make it clearer what the question is all about.)

> Not knowing whether it is safe to do so, I answer no - and
> the list just keeps on growing...
>
> This is due to the following change:
>
> 2008-02-16  Reiner Steib  <address@hidden>
>
>       * mail-source.el (mail-source-delete-incoming): Change default.
>       Supplement doc string.
>
> Why was this change made?

See <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/66047/focus=66051>.
(intermediate) incoming mail files immediately after handling them
whereas development versions kept them forever.  After the recent
discussion, I've changed the default to keep the incoming file a
couple of days as a safety belt.

,----
`----

> -- at least without changing the default for
> mail-source-delete-old-incoming-confirm too.

Sorry for that.  When I made this change, I completely forgot about
`mail-source-delete-old-incoming-confirm' (I've set it to nil ever
since I introduced it in 2003).

I agree that the default should be either...

(a) positive `mail-source-delete-incoming' and
    `mail-source-delete-old-incoming-confirm' set to nil, or...

(b) `mail-source-delete-incoming' set to t (as it was in Emacs <=
    22.1.91 / Gnus 5.10.8)

> At least it should have been documented in GNUS-NEWS.

I will do that.

I'm sorry that this came up to late for pretest 22.1.92.  I'd suggest
to go for (a), i.e. keep `mail-source-delete-incoming' set to 2 and
set `mail-source-delete-old-incoming-confirm' nil (including the
improvements mentioned above).  Yidong, if you strongly prefer a
different change for 22.2, please let me know.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)