Re: merging Emacs.app

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: merging Emacs.app
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 17:46:39 +0000

Dan,

On 8 Mar 2008, at 17:14, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

There's another difference: Emacs.app is doing things the right way:
it is trying to get merged in Emacs. No such attempt from Aquamacs until
now.

We cannot go for a merge, since we support a number of features for which an implementation does not exist on GNU/Linux. That's why we can't even have "GNU Aquamacs". Also, we have changed a number of defaults for customization variables. The new defaults often make Emacs more like other applications on the platform, but they do not make sense for users who are used to the "Emacs" way. Often, people belonging to this group complain on the Aquamacs mailing lists, where we either advise them how to change the settings, or where to get the original GNU Emacs with its settings. Aquamacs strives for UI compatibility with other apps (primarily on the platform), prioritizing this over compatibility with other Emacs versions or Emacs on other platforms. I don't think this is or should be a goal for the GNU Emacs project.

I submit changes where I see fit, but all of the Aquamacs changes are also openly visible in our CVS. If you like to integrate specific features, then I'd be happy to explain specific changes. I'd like to see as many people use those as possible, so do let me know.

It also has a place where it talks about the great contributions back to
Emacs <drumroll> bug reporting for Mac </drumroll>.
And bug reports from Aquamacs are sometime forwarded here, we do get to
do some debugging for Aquamacs too.

In almost all cases, it is me (and really only me) reproducing and tracing these bugs before or after reporting them. If you prefer me to ignore and swallow those user's bug reports, then Stefan and Chong can let me know.