Re: CUA mode's C-RET binding

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: CUA mode's C-RET binding
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 08:46:50 +0900

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> Since C-SPC sets the region mark, and the SPC key is "one dimensional",
> I think that C-RET is a good analogy with the RET key's typical "two
> dimensional" form.
>
> If we could move "just-one-space" to some other key, using M-SPC to
> set the rectangle mark would be an alternative "logical" binding for
> setting the rectangle-mark.

>From what I've seen, many people use the current just-one-space binding
of M-SPC though, and it seems a particularly good and mnenomic binding
for that command.

> A third possibility would be S-SPC, but that may not work in -nw.

Indeed...

The thing is, I don't think a "set-rectangle-mark" binding has to be all
that lightweight.  In my experience, rectangle operations are fairly
heavyweight anyway -- you set the mark once and do a bunch of movement
(which can take a while) -- so a slightly less convenient binding for
the initial mark-setting would probably be fine.

I'd suggest "C-x r SPC" for obviousness, but that's taken, as is "C-x r
C-SPC" (I have no idea why point-to-register needs _two_ bindings...).

-Miles

--
Bacchus, n. A convenient deity invented by the ancients as an excuse for
getting drunk.