Re: Shift-movement selection

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Shift-movement selection
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 00:57:04 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

>> and then call it from wherever it's considered useful
>> (e.g. forward-char, next-line, ...).

That was not an option when I wrote CUA-mode.
If that position has changed now, I'm all in favour of this approach!

This would also allow external packages to simply add code like

     (if (fboundp 'activate-on-shift-selecting-movement)
         (activate-on-shift-selecting-movement))

[I don't quite like the name tough].

Easier would be (shift-region-check) or some such.

> The method I showed earlier seems almost as simple, and has the
> advantage that it's very unintrusive -- you only need to worry about the
> commands which implement the special behavior -- and seems to work
> pretty well.

Can't we just combine the two methods (actually three - using the
deactivate-mark 'only instead of transient-mark-mode 'only)?