Re: position on changing defaults?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: position on changing defaults?
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:44:36 +0100

Xavier Maillard <address@hidden> writes:

>    There are many alternative buffer switching methods, of which mine is
>    just one {that I hope Richard might one day try!}.
>
> Just a quick question, I just saw ido-mode mentionned on another
> post. I am not an expert but it seems pretty closed to iswitchb.
> The question is then simply: why ido-mode and iswitchb and not a
> merge of these two packages ? In what do they differ exactly ?

Good question - when I wrote ido, I started hacking on the iswitchb
code, but i found it akward to use the iswitchb prefix - I tried to
use an ifindf- prefix for the new functions, but things were so glued
together (in particular in the minibuffer hooks) that I chose a
completely new prefix ido- for everything.

When I was done, things had moved quite far away from iswitchb
(in the internals and in the names of functions and options),
that I didn't see a way to synchronize with iswitchb.

I guess iswitchb is still there for those who don't want to use the
same interface for find-file (why not?) -- in that case, it is more
lightweight than the full ido.