Re: FW: Minibuf menu when minibuffer is standalone

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: FW: Minibuf menu when minibuffer is standalone
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:10:17 -0400

>> From: Drew Adams Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 1:02 PM
>> Consider as a possible enhancement somehow making the Minibuf
>> menu-bar menu available also when the minibuffer is in a
>> standalone frame (frame parameter minibuffer has value `only').
>>
>> Because the minibuffer maps are local maps, when you have a
>> standalone minibuffer frame, which has no menu-bar, the Minibuf
>> menu-bar menu is not available anywhere. (The other frames do
>> not have minibuffers, and their buffers do not have the
>> minibuffer map as local map.)
>>
>> Perhaps menu Minibuf could somehow be made to appear in all
>> frames that have a menu-bar, whenever the minibuffer is active.
>> I'm not sure how that might be implemented, because it is good
>> to keep the current situation of the minibuffer maps being
>> local to the minibuffer. But if a good implementation could be
>> found, it would be desirable to have the Minibuf menu available
>> also for users who have a standalone minibuffer.

Actually, I'd hate such a behavior.  It's only relatively recently
(maybe a couple years) that I discovered the minibuffer menus, where
I tested Emacs in a non-separate-minibuffer-frame setting and found the
menu-bar switching just inconvenient.

I mean, really, all that menu-bar-switching for what?
3 miserable commands?

        Stefan