Re: Word search

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Word search
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 04:17:22 +0200

> 1. It might be OK to have C-w do something different when the region is
> empty. At least for those people who use transient-mark mode (so that
> "active region" means something).
>
> 2. That is not limited to the minibuffer, logically. That is, there is
> nothing special about the minibuffer in this regard.
>
> 3. It is OK to have some minibuffer key yank text from the current buffer -
> for example, text at or near point.
>
> 4. We have discussed #3 before. I suggested behavior that lets you yank
> different kinds of things at point and behavior that lets you yank
> successive things at point. Nothing has come of that, so far.
>
> 5. HOWEVER: If an approach such as #1 is used, it should not be combined
> with #3, and especially not using `C-w'. That is trying to be too clever by
> half, and it doesn't help.
>
> That is, there is no reason to combine these features you propose. And doing
> so limits design for the future. And the use of C-w then becomes confusing
> for users: sometimes cut (kill), sometimes paste (yank). That's not good UI,
> IMO.
>
> So if you do #3, please use a different key. And if you do #1, consider
> doing so in every buffer, not just the minibuffer.

C-w in the search string editing minibuffer is a natural extension of
C-w in isearch mode (`isearch-yank-word-or-char') because there will be
no difference between `C-s C-w C-w ...' and `C-s M-e C-w C-w ...'.

Since `isearch-edit-string' uses a normal minibuffer, it would be
natural to extend this C-w feature to other minibuffers.

But it is true that such dual nature of C-w might cause troubles
when transient-mark-mode is off.

Maybe, we could accept C-w as a yanking key only at the beginning of
the minibuffer?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/