Re: Emacs Bazaar repository

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: Emacs Bazaar repository
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:58:13 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> My first impression is that bzr is slow, so slow that it is completely
>> unusable.  How can it come that a simple bzr log takes more than a
>> minute to even start?  Even cvs log is instantaneous in comparison,
>> although it has to request the log from the server.
>
> I find this surprising: "git log" is pretty much instantaneous, and git
> recalculates a code piece's history in the process (renaming and copying
> is not tracked by git, but calculated on the fly when you ask for log
> output).

Actually the full "git log" can be long, but in practice, "git log"
seems _always_ instantaneous, since:

* git log pipes itself to less by default, so you get something stable
  in your terminal as soon as "git log" has outputed a few lines.

* git log can show the output as it finds it. It can show the output
  for HEAD immediately, then the ancestors of HEAD, then the
  grandparents, ...

As opposed to that, bzr has to get a global view of history at least
to get the revision numbers (there was some plans caching this
information, I don't know what's the status).

That said, the time for bzr log to start should clearly not be _that_
long. I suspect it's done on a light checkout (therefore needing
network access), which git can't do at all for example.

--
Matthieu