Re: Emacs Bazaar repository

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Emacs Bazaar repository
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:29:27 +0100

Matthieu Moy wrote:
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

 If Mercurial had the ability to truly support multiple branches in
the same folder (with out requiring me to merge all branches before I
can pull - pull works only if there is a single tip/branch), I would
have preferred it mainly because it just needs PYTHON and nothing else
(GIT needs PERL and SHELL).
How did they do that? It needs both perl and sh? Is there really any
perl programmer who writes code that way?

The core git is in C, and designed to be used in scripts.

Then, UI commands have usually been prototyped in shell-script, but
there's an ongoing effort to re-write them in C (mostly because
shell-scripts sucks when it comes to robustness and portability).

Some commands have been written in perl instead of C or shell,
probably because they have been written by people who like perl.

Thanks Matthieu, for the explanation. My point was also that perl is far more portable then sh (beside beeing more powerful as a scripting language).