Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:56:56 -0400

>> *Any* letter in `interactive' should have a simple Elisp equivalent.
         ^^^^^^
          char

> 3. Use a non-letter interactive code, analogous to @ and *, that
>    causes Fcall_interactively to perform the handling of
>    transient-mark-mode automagically.  This was the code I showed.
>    Because it's a non-letter code, we don't need to change the
>    argument list.  This approach needs the least new code, and might
>    be less disruptive, but it's obviously a little magical.

> 3a. As above, but also for direct keybindings with the shift modifier.

That's clearly the intention I had, except I don't care if it is also
provided as a char for string interactive specs.  First and foremost it
should be an elisp function that people can call at the beginning of
their function, just like they can call `barf-if-buffer-read-only'.

Then we can provide a special char in `interactive' strings for those
commands that currently don't use an elisp interactive spec.

Then we can tweak the code of that function to decide how it should
behave when the command is bound to a shifted key.

        Stefan