Re: 23.0.60; TRAMP does not pass regime

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; TRAMP does not pass regime
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 10:59:06 +0100

Peter Dyballa <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello!

Hi,

> When I'm in a dired buffer fed via TRAMP from a remote server and I
> type: 'C-x d /pat TAB' (leading to a path name construct in mini-
> buffer of ``/ssh:address@hidden:/var/log//patŽŽ with the part
> until // in invalidating grey instead of usual black as soon as GNU
> Emacs sees the two slashes) TRAMP does not understand that the
> leading slash introduces a new (and particularly local) absolute path
> (adding as another try /ssh:address@hidden:/var/log/apache2 to
> the previous remote path pattern, makes TRAMP look for something  like
> /ssh:address@hidden:/ssh:address@hidden:/var/log/
> apache2, it does an ls of /ssh:address@hidden:/var/log/apache2
> on the remote server). It tries to expand the path name with // on
> the remote server and does not seem to be able to finish/time-out
> this nonsense – or I was not patient enough.

That is a feature. See (info "(tramp)Filename completion")

"This works pretty much like for files on the local host, with the
 exception that minibuffer killing via a double-slash works only on the
 filename part, except that filename part starts with `//'.  A
 triple-slash stands for the default behaviour."

The idea behind is, that it is more likely to open another file on the
remote host, than to open a file from somwhere else.

The greyed part of the filename tries to show this visually.

Best regards, Michael.