Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:15:49 -0400

Thomas Lord <address@hidden> writes:

> It's a red herring to think in terms of movement commands.
>
> For example, if C-t invokes transpose-chars then,
> by default, S-C-t should also invoke transpose-chars
> but override the default and make the new default to
> preserve the transient mark.   S-C-f S-C-f S-C-t S-C-f
> makes one modification to the buffer and leaves a
> transient region of three characters.   (Hopefully
> transpose-chars is already coded so as to make
> its buffer changes under save-excursion.)

It wouldn't be wise to make such a wide-ranging change in the behavior
of Emacs.  Since certain existing modes bind keys to shift modifiers,
we should not make it a general rule that a shift-something keybinding
changes the selecion.

The movement commands can be treated as a special case, for entirely
pragmatic reasons.  It helps that the shift modified versions of the
keybindings are typically unbound.