Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 17:55:36 -0700

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
I've *never* heard a Windows user complain about the region
doing the wrong thing.

XEmacs implements the "active flag for top of mark stack" model.

I think you are are prematurely self-congratulatory.
If XEmacs were really successful in this area, especially
given the Lucid ancestry, then Eclipse would not exist
in its present form.  (Rather, it would be "eclipse.el".)

If you want to do something subtler, Tom, I think a sample
implementation really needs to be provided and exercised thoroughly,
because the t-m-m model just plain ain't broke in best current
practice.

I have a stack of 2 big things on my "put up or shut up" debt list
at just this moment and I'm not adding this thing as a third.

But this thing... how shift-select should work... it's a much simpler
problem than the other two and I think I can fix it just by describing
the solution.   Yeah, I'm crazy optimistic that way, sometimes, in some
contexts.

-t