RE: C-r and C-s in minibuffer should search completion

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-r and C-s in minibuffer should search completion
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:44:14 -0700

> I believe C-s and C-r in the minibuffer should not
> only search the history but the completion table
> as well (at least when it's not a function).
>
> Could someone implement this feature?

1. What's wrong with keeping C-s and C-r for searching minibuffer text?
That's useful.

2. We have M-s and M-r for searching the history.

3. I proposed M-o for completion against the history:

  > > Could you propose a different key to complete
  > > history lists in *all* minibuffers?
  >
  > Yes, I could. The key that Icicles uses for this is M-o.
  >
  > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/
  > Icicles_-_History_Enhancements#toc4

(That link also describes other useful ways to access history items.)

Pick a different key from M-o, if you like, but a separate binding for
history completion is better than co-opting the isearch bindings.