Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:55:12 +0100

paul r wrote:
I really agree, because I had the same experience. On the other hand,
5 years ago, I got really frustrated beginning on emacs, so much that
I gave up. I came back to it 2 years later, because someone pushed me,
gave me its .emacs, helped me to get hands on.

It is a very, very different situation if you are alone or if you know someone who have used Emacs. The complexity is much higher if you are all alone.

I think the complexity we meat is not a linear function of the number of details. Rather it is an exponential function. Our working memory is quite limited and perhaps one can think of this as like our mind have to swap between different sets of details if they get too many.

The way our mind works we need to reduce complexity. That is IMO really the magic behind mathematics and logics. It reduces complexity so even normal human can (more or less) understand things that are complex. (Paper and pencil visualisation is another marvelous tool to reduce complexity which I tend to use when I get stuck ;-) .)

I think this, really, is a fundamental question : "On what criterion
should we choose defaults ?"

Here are some of my thoughts :
 -  pushing educational ambition in default settings, really, is a big
mistake. You want to educate, so improve tutorial, improve
documentation, make more interactive tutorials. But do *not*
deliberately harden the way for beginners.
  -  It should *never* be a target make the default set so that gurus
here can minimize the size of their .emacs, ideally having a void
.emacs. Beginners should be comfortable using emacs, even with a void
.emacs. Not advanced users.

(global-set-key [(control ?c) ?e] (lambda () (interactive) (find-file "~/.emacs")))

  - never compromise the wonderfull ability of emacs to be fully
customizable ( I do not worry too much about this one ;)

What are yours ?

I agree with you and with RMS when he wrote:

"In Eclipse, these features are very visible and they "just work".
It would be good if that were true in Emacs also."

Regards,

-- Paul