Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:28:16 +0100

"paul r" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Most average developpers I know will simply never tweak any of the
> piece of software they use.
[...]
> I think emacs customization process is already fairly good. But many
> beginners will simply give up *before* even discovering M-x customize

To be honest: I don't care to much about that kind of people.  There is
a fair amount of software out there to suit there (limited?) needs --
please don't try to make Emacs just another one of these.

I like Emacs for being driven by "doing the right thing" and by that
aiming to become the perfect tool from hackers for hackers[0].

By all means: educate those who are willing to learn:  don't make it
unnecessarily hard for them and point them in the right direction,
e.g. by pointing out that customization is crucial to make Emacs
"yours".

But _pretty please_ don't choose the defaults on what joe average
programmers would expect.

cheers
sascha

[0] btw. I think that a significant number of those folks you are
    talking about will not know the meaning of the word "hacker" in the
    sense I'm using it here.  Coincidence?  I don't think so... ;-)
--
Sascha Wilde  :  "The PROPER way to handle HTML postings is to cancel
the article, then hire a hitman to kill the poster, his wife and kids,