RE: Honoring traditional defaults - how to do it. [was: Transient MarkMo

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Honoring traditional defaults - how to do it. [was: Transient MarkMode on bydefault]
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:26:57 -0700

> I think all these things can be achieved with a simple alias:
>
>     % alias emacs_easy='emacs --load /path/to/lisp/emacs-easy.el'
>
> .  emacs-easy.el, besides setting up the "easy" defaults,
> should display a startup screen with a message something like...

_None_ of the things I mentioned can be achieved that way, AFAICT.

The point was to provide one or more predefined sets of preference (e.g. option
and face) settings, and let users easily pick such a set from a menu. The
default Emacs behavior would be one such set. The choice would be persistent via
custom-file/.emacs: the chosen set (name and value) would itself be the value of
a user option.

I don't see how any of that would be realized by an alias and a message that
tells users they can customize Emacs.