Re: Does Emacs wm-window handling misbehave?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Does Emacs wm-window handling misbehave?
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:02:32 +0100

Mathias Dahl skrev:
Lately I am having problems switching windows (window manager windows)
using Alt+Tab. Like exactly right now when I type this in Emacs I try
to switch window and it does not work. I can see the frame of other
windows being marked/outlined and in the task bar the name of the
window I am trying to switch to becomes bold. I have to use the mouse
to switch instead, very annoying.

Until today I have thought this being a glitch in Metacity but by
chance I stumbled upon the following messages in my .xsession-errors
file today:

    Window manager warning: last_focus_time (5775062) is greater than
    comparison timestamp (3763886959).  This most likely represents a
    buggy client sending inaccurate timestamps in messages such as
    _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW.  Trying to work around...

    Window manager warning: last_user_time (5775062) is greater than
    comparison timestamp (3763886959).  This most likely represents a
    buggy client sending inaccurate timestamps in messages such as
    _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW.  Trying to work around...

    Window manager warning: 0x3c000a4 (.emacs) appears to be one of the
    offending windows with a timestamp of 5775062.  Working around...

It suddenly occurred to me that I only experience the switching
problem in Emacs and here is a reference to one of my Emacs
windows. Could it be a coincidence or is Emacs doing anything bad? I
don't want to report this as a bug just yet. Does anyone else have similar
experiences? I cannot say when it happens, it suddenly does. When I have
switched using the mouse it works again, for a while...

Do you have click-to-focus? This is strange, because Emacs only sends _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW when x-focus-frame is called. We did have an issue with timestamps, but that should have been fixed some time ago. Can you explicitly call x-focus-frame and at the same time do a tail -f on .xsession-errors and see if the above message comes up?

        Jan D.