Re: C-r and C-s in minibuffer should search completion

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: C-r and C-s in minibuffer should search completion
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 14:30:41 +0200

>    But really there is no need to mix two separate search spaces.
>    There exist already a convenient key sequence to search the completion
>    table: `PgUp C-s'.  PgUp switches to the *Completions* buffer and
>    C-s starts searching among completion candidates.
>
> Gotcha ! I now understand why sometimes there is this
> *Completion* buffer that pops up when I do something wrong on my
> tiny keyboard :) Thank you for the tip !

No wonder that you sometimes accidentally get the *Completions* buffer.
Normally <prior> is bound to previous-history-element, but in some
minibuffers it is bound to switch-to-completions.  Maybe we should
avoid this inconsistency by using another key for switch-to-completions?

What about binding switch-to-completions to <M-down> because typing
simply <down> starts moving to the next item in a list of defaults
and completions. And also to bind a new command switch-to-history
(that will display a list of history items in a separate window)
to <M-up> because simply <up> moves to the previous history item.

Note that these keys are already used in many other programs to open
a pop-up list of history/completion items, so they will do what a typical
user would expect.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/