Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 15:45:08 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:
But there is no way to change the DOC string when one tacks a property
onto the function.  And that means that the DOC string change and the
property tack-on are not inherently _synchronized_.  And that is a bad
idea.

I think you are attaching the wrong point. What is important is not only the doc string, but what the help system does. Of course the help system can take care of this. In this respect there is no problem with using a property here.

Again, this hides away part of the interactive behavior of a command to
a different place.  And again, it makes the mechanism depend on the
_name_ (aka symbol) of the called function rather than its function
definition.

David, may I remind you that I asked you earlier about a way to change the interactive spec in the function cell. You answered with a way to instead attach a property to the symbol name.