Re: Is it possible to update tooltip text?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Is it possible to update tooltip text?
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 16:00:43 +0100

Ye Wenbin wrote:
Hi,
I am wondering whether there is a function to update the text display in the
tooltip. Maybe the tooltip is not what I what, because I think tooltip will
disappear when user input something. I want a frame the display text like
tooltip, and I can update the text according to user's input and hide
it when needed.
I think such feature is useful, for example it can be used for displaying
candicate expansions or using by input methods. I try x-show-tip, but
the frame display and disappear too often.

I searched for something like that too, but finally (for some other reasons) decided to use an overlay instead. Maybe that was the wrong approach and if you manage to get tooltips to work for you as you wanted to above then please tell me.

My "overlay workaround" is in tabkey2.el:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/tabkey2.el