Re: Transient Region Highlighting - an improvement over Transient Mark M

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Transient Region Highlighting - an improvement over Transient Mark Mode.
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 19:04:55 +0000

Hi, Luc!

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 01:10:42PM -0500, Luc Teirlinck wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:

>    But I'm suggesting that the (eq mark-even-if-inactive nil) case be
>    removed, since it's not useful.

> I have not followed this discussion, so I am not sure I understand the
> above correctly.  I hope that it does _not_ mean that you are
> suggesting eliminating mark-even-if-inactive completely.

That was indeed what I was suggesting.

[ .... ]

> I have used t-m-m ever since I used Emacs and if I use commands like
> C-w and friends without having a region highlighted, so without being
> able to verify what is going to be deleted, there is 100% certainty
> that I typed C-w inadvertently, so the nice thing to do is to give me
> an error message rather than to make me pay for my mistyping.

> So it is bad enough that mark-even-if-inactive was made t by default
> (a decision I am not going to fight, because I do not have the time
> to enter in some endless discussion), it should _certainly_ not be
> _eliminated_.

OK, I withdraw the assertion that this option is useless and should be
eliminated.

I would, however, still suggest it be renamed to reflect the thinking in
your second last paragraph above, and my opening post.  How about
`region-op-only-when-highlit' (with an alias for the old name, of
course)?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).