Re: VC shows stderr in target buffer

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: VC shows stderr in target buffer
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 08:27:30 +0100

On 4 Apr 2008, at 15:09, Stefan Monnier wrote:

It seems better in the *vc-diff* buffer where the user will be sure to
see it than in the echo area where it'll be overwritten soon after
(especially for multi-line messages).

When you do C-x C-s and the file can't be written, do you insert an error message into the buffer? When you handle an exception signalled anywhere, do you insert an error message into the buffer or do you show it in the echo area?

My request was about consistency. It's probably important to know I would do things like C-x C-v = in order to do something else with the resulting diff than to just read the output. Thus, warnings (and they are just warnings!) are annoying when they're shown in the buffer.

Any reason why you can't fix the problem so that CVS doesn't complain?

Sure, I can fix my problem, but that doesn't mean it's right to mix error messages and actual output...