Re: Tab bar

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Tab bar
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 17:33:18 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:
Perhaps beginning users at that stage won't have so many buffers that
they can't all fit in the tab bar.

Why not handle this like for example Firefox handles it? All the tabs are in one row but all tabs are not visible at once. I think that is how the system tab widgets handles it.

And by the time the user starts to
work with so many buffers, she will have learned about C-h b.

The tabs as above can be combined with for example the way Ido let you narrow the available list of buffers. The set of visible tabs could be narrowed the same way.

I imagine that the user first press C-tab and then by pressing a second key gets into that "ido-like state". Perhaps a quick press of C-tab again should enter that state. (Entering that state autmatically would be confusing for a new user since that is not the way tabs normally function.)

Another note: You wrote in another message that tabs are most important for windows. If there is a special set of buffers for a window then it makes sense to me with a special tab row for that window. Otherwise it makes more sense to me to have one tab row per frame and that this affects the selected window.

Meanwhile, if the tab bar normally shows the most recently used
buffers, MOST OF THE TIME the buffer you want will be visible there
..
It would be good to have a tab bar of perspectives, too.

I am not sure how that could work and look. One important thing about tabs IMO is the ability to use C-tab/C-S-tab to switch tab.