Re: Default of send-mail-function

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Default of send-mail-function
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:15:23 +0100

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
* GNU/Linux
  - debian: manoj, please help me fill in this. Desktop? Other?
  - ubuntu: I guess system default mail, but other knows better than me

I don't think its as simple as which distribution you use. It depends on whether you choose to install a full mail server (which may be part of the defaults on some distributions, or it may depend on choices made at install time), and it depends on whether that server is configured correctly. Manoj is right - in multi-user environments with a qualified administrator looking after the machines, sendmail is going to be less problematic than expecting all users to set up their mail client. But increasingly GNU/Linux is being used in single user desktop environments.