Re: mode-line tooltips for "[" and "]" in recursive-edit

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: mode-line tooltips for "[" and "]" in recursive-edit
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:28:47 -0400

>> Especially since the truncation is inexact anyway (depending on the
>> chars found and the fonts used for them we may not cut at the right
>> place: the only right way to truncate is via tuncate-lines).
> Truncate happens at newlines.

I understand the intention, but Emacs is notoriously bad at relating
string-sizes and window-sizes, so your comparison of text-size with
window-width just can't be foolproof: you'll get cases where you think
you cut the line short enough, but it wraps onto the next line anyway
because the fonts are bigger.  And other cases where you end up cutting
shorter than you'd have to.

> I thought it best to show complete lines rather than lines cut at some
> random word.

But it's also good for the user to know that there's more to it.
And if he decided to keep it all on a single-line, he's probably willing
to deal with some side effects.

        Stefan