Re: function arguments downcased in help buffers

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: function arguments downcased in help buffers
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 03:52:37 +0200

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 2:20 AM, Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:

>  In 22.2 and older version from CVS HEAD used to show this:
>
>  defun is a special form in `C source code'.
>
>  (defun NAME ARGLIST [DOCSTRING] BODY...)

That's a feature, but it is not new, it was introduced in 22.1. Also,
in the default emacs -q setup, the arguments are lowercase *italics*.

>  not sure why this happens, but it does not seem like a good idea, the
>  upper case used for arguments is quite helpful when trying to spot what
>  a certain argument does.

You can customize the help-argument-name face. Or, if you really want
your uppercase args back, you can do

(defun help-default-arg-highlight (arg) arg)

FWIW, for cases like these I think there should be a
help-argument-highlight-function var, set to
help-default-arg-highlight, so the user could just assign another
function to it instead of having to redefine the existing one. But
Richard opposed adding such a variable:

> To say that a user can customize something does not necessarily mean
> introducing a defcustom to customize it.  That is one of many
> customization mechanisms in Emacs.  Another customization mechanism
> is to redefine a function.

 Juanma