Re: yanking a killed or saved region with a single mouse gesture

From: Manoj Srivastava
Subject: Re: yanking a killed or saved region with a single mouse gesture
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 01:01:29 -0500

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 07:50:36 +0200, Romain Francoise <address@hidden> said:

> Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden> writes:
>> So mouse 2 saves, mouse 3 yanks the saved region, and holding down
>> the shift key kills instead of saves.

> In which way is this better than the default mouse commands (Mouse-1
> at start of region, single or double Mouse-3 click at the end)?

        Mouse 1 sets the point, or sets a region. The gestures do not
 reset point at all; they take a section of text at some other point,
 and optionally yank it in. Consider the following (I am showing the
 lines next to each other, but they can be in different buffers)

 blah blah blah 1 XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX 2 yadda yadda yadda
 some more text p and more yet.

        The point is at p; and I hold down shit, and drag mouse 3 from
 the character 1 over to the character 2. What I get is:
 blah blah blah 12 yadda yadda yadda
 some more text p XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX  and more yet.

        Without the shift, it copies: so I get:
 blah blah blah 1 XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX 2 yadda yadda yadda
 some more text p XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX  and more yet.

        The point does not change, no mark was set. This single gesture
 with the mouse is faster than setting point with mouse 1, setting end
 point with mouse 3, optionally deleting with mouse 3, finding the spot
 where I need to yank the text to, and hitting mouse 2.

        I often use  this with different windows in the same frame.

        manoj
--
new, adj.: Different color from previous model.
Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden> <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>