Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 22:23:00 -0400

    - 3 is a dedicated emacs window, containing a special "frame status"
      buffer. This buffer is like a mode-line, but contains mode-line
      entries like date-time, that I dont want to have in every window
      mode-line.

    -  I dont want other-window to enter window 3, ever.

    -  I dont want delete-other-windows to delete window 3, ever.

You want the window to be dedicated, and never selected except
explicitly, and never deleted except explicitly.

I don't think there are existing features for the latter two, but it
should be easy enough to add them at the C level.  I think that is the
right approach.

Perhaps the cleanest way is to give each window a plist to specify
whether various operations should consider it.  It could have a
`delete-other-windows' property and a `select-window' property and a
`display-buffer' property, and the values of these properties would
control whether those operations can use this window.

The new `display-buffer' property could be equivalent to the existing
"dedicated" flag.  That would mean it affects some other primitives
aside from `display-buffer', but that is ok.  There is no need to be
rigid about the relationship between these properties and primitives
they affect.

People might find various ways to improve this idea by tweaking
details.